Ridwan Sanusi

Experience Designer

Program dashboard for Booking.com's exclusive partner program

Strategy, Research, UX, UI, Prototype

Preferred Partner Program is an exclusive status offered to high-performing properties. Preferred properties get extra visibility in the search results and an exclusive badge. Because this was a partner-facing project, I have blurred the header to hide sensitive information, used mock data and only talk about the external parts of the project.


I worked within an agile team of 6 consisting of the product manager, marketing manager, researcher, UX writer, client-side developer and backend developer. My role was to lead the design effort of the project with support from the Product owner and collaborate with various stakeholders to drive the project from initial beginning to go-to-market.

Understanding the paint points

Through various “awareness survey” reports, we understood that quite a large percentage of preferred partners were not aware of the value the program brings to their business.

In order to dig deeper into the root of this problem, we conducted an evaluative research to understand partners' current experience with the program. We decided to focus on the three major pain points most participants mentioned the most.

Design Workshop

Armed with our research insights, we organized a design workshop to explore various ideas using "How Might We" method to brainstorm potential solutions. At the end of the workshop, We were able to converge on the a proposed solution of creating a dashboard that shows both current preferrred and non-preferred partners the value of being in the program.

Ideation Phase

I facilitated another design session with the whole team to explore “how might we show our partners the value of being a preferred member?”. This time, we used the silent brainstorming technique to allow people bring in divergent ideas. Each participants pasted their post-its and explained the ideas to the rest of us. Afterwards, we did dot-voting on the post-its to help us converge on one proposed solution;

Once we agreed on the idea to prototype, we did another round of silent brainstorming. This time combined with figuring storming technique. This allowed us put ourselves in the shoes of the partners and answer questions about what is it that we will like to see which will properly inform us of the performance of our business in the preferred partner program?”

We voted on major ideas that we can put on a dashboard prototype for validation from partners.

Initial sketches

At this stage, we believe we have sufficient concrete ideas to design. I started exploring ideas on paper and then turned those into wireframes for an MVP.

Partner understanding & perception

I created the first draft of the design and shared with the rest of the team and other stakeholders for feedback on the direction. I collaborated with both UX Writer and Marketing Manager on the content strategy. Took the mockup to our design critique session for feedback from the UX community in preparation to test with the partners.

The goal of the research this time was to understand how partners perceive the proposed solution. We got valuable feedback that helped us further refine the design of the dashboard.

The solution

We refined the initial designs based on all the feedback we've got from our partners and also internally from the UX community. Also prototyped some of the interactions to help collaborating with the engineers easier.

Measuring Success

With the pain points in our minds, we believe the best way to measure the value of the dashboard will be to monitor partner churn. We also believe the next awareness survey will show improved result if our solution worked. We continued to iterate on the dashboard based on feedback from partners, Introduced new changes and updates using our internal a/b testing platform.